Thank You

Thank You

18 June 2014

June 2014

The diversity of my calling as a chaplain, lies in Jesus’ statement; For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’”

The social challenges that I encounter at HH are vast. Patients that never receive visits from family or friends. The new mother that has no baby items. The financially challenged. The cycle of addiction. The sadness of seeing a husband needing to walk to the taxi rank after the sudden death of his wife. All these coupled by their physical illness brings many a-challenge in restoring hope and faith.

Being able to give a new mother a jersey and sanitary items (her family have shown no interest in caring for her), puts Jesus’ words into practice, “...Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Emotionally and spiritually caring for her needed to take a practical step; “What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?” 

Thank you to all who have donated various items for the mom's and babies of HH. 
Know that each go out in faith and prayer.