Thank You

Thank You

30 January 2013

February 2013


Greetings all

With 2013 already approaching February, I Trust that all is well and that you have had a restful festive season.  There are some exciting opportunities that lie ahead for Sinekamva Chaplaincy and Counseling ministry.  One such opportunity is my involvement with the CPE program at Groote Schuur Hospital.

This journey began in the middle of last year, while I was doing PhD research that I came across an advert in a pastoral care journal advertising CPE (clinical pastoral education) in Cape Town. After emailing them, explaining who I am and my experience in CPE (Houston, TX), I did not have much expectation that I would get a reply since the advert was dated in the 80’s.  After a few days had passed I received a reply from a lady (Jacinta) in Strand stating that the program still existed and wants to know what my interest in emailing her was about.  In reply I said I was curious as I had done a year’s CPE program in the US.  Her response was for us to meet.  I had no agenda for that meeting as I wanted to find out if a relationship between my ministry and CPE Groote Schuur could be established.  Near the end of the meeting Jacinta said that their agenda was “me”.  It was in that week that she and her colleague decided to step down from leading the CPE program (as they have been running the program for 15 years ) and felt it was time for them to step down and find someone with fresh and new ideas.  It appeared that in all likelihood the program was going to close all together, although their prayer was for the program to continue, they had no one to carry on running the program.  Throughout that week they had been praying for someone to take over the program and out of them to blue they received my email.  The end result was an open invitation for me to prayerfully consider taking over the CPE program at Groote Schuur Hospital as I had a good understanding of what such a program entails.  As part of my introduction to this I will be attending their 2013 program (11 weeks) beginning February.  Not only is this exciting to be part of such a program, but this journey would also bring the beginnings of qualification to awards a certified CPE supervisor (the program is governed by ACPESA).

I look to this not as coincidence but a God given opportunity, as the timing of my email could not have been more perfect.  It has always been a goal to establish such a program here in Cape Town, as CPE is an incredible learning experience for anyone involved in pastoral care.  Groote Schuur Hospital offers a wonderful learning experience as it is a world renowned for their innovative and historical care.  All staff at Groote Schuur has a wonderful working relationship with all CPE students and supervises. I will keep you all updated as to the progress of CPE in the next few newsletters. Please be in prayer with me as I make a final decision about CPE in the next few months!

My PhD continues to move forward as I’m currently at the stage of writing my first three chapters (introduction, literature review and methodology).  I thank the Lord for such an opportunity and continue to remain aware that this is an incredible journey that I and my family are on.  This is only possible through the gracious support both financially and emotionally from all those who support me in my ministry. If you would like to contribute towards Sinekamva ministry or my PhD fees (Please reference “PhD”) the bank details are as follows:
Sinekamva     (Saving Account)
Bank:             Nedbank (Somerset West)
Branch code:  106012
Account:        2060 1742 44

Thank you for your support and God Bless!